Independence Networking Services has developed Guiding Principles that are reflected in its Mission Statement that will provide guidance in day to day decisions.
COMPETENCE AND INTEGRITY
We will consistently demonstrate competence and integrity by:
- advocating for person centered and self directed problem solving
- applying valued based best practice strategies with confidence
- applying effective communication with individuals and other agencies
- developing structures and strategies as a team
- seeking and applying new ideas in a professional manner.
BELONGING AND TEAMWORK
We will foster a strong sense of belonging and teamwork by:
- developing trusting connections
- positively contributing to each person feeling valued
- nurturing sensitivity and respect for cultural diversity
- promoting a welcoming atmosphere through validating and understanding individual differences
- promoting interdependence through teamwork
- fostering a sense of ownership within the agency through engagement and empowerment
- practicing active listening and by seeking mutual interests
- working to practice tolerance, forgiveness and patience.
HIGH QUALITY OF LIFE
We will empower individuals to achieve a high quality of life by:
- providing opportunities for personal growth and for the development of skills
- showing respect and promoting the rights of individuals
- helping individuals to establish a purpose in life
- encouraging ‘informed choice’ by individuals
- improving competence in individuals through problem solving and goal setting
- supporting individuals to get their basic needs met and to seek, gain and maintain employment
- advocating for individuals to receive appropriate treatment for addictions, trauma or mental health issues.
We will have a reputation for contributing to the community by:
- supporting individuals to engage in safe and healthy relationships within the community
- participating in cultural activities and community events
- networking with individuals and agencies for the purpose of sharing, mentoring and advocating
- attending and engaging in community meetings that affect individuals supported by the agency
- promoting and modeling the agency’s mission and values in the community.
RESPECT AND ACCEPTANCE
We will create a climate of respect and acceptance by:
- applying professional standards of communication and confidentiality
- using non-judgmental language and modeling support for each individual
- allowing freedom of choice and validating individual perspective
- being honest and open
- providing clear expectations concerning roles and responsibilities
- seeking win-win solutions to problems.